Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 2011 - Spain and France - Day 3 : Local Exploration (142 miles)

Today, there was no official or planned tour so each of the couples (+ me) did their own thing. Phil had proposed a route that took in the waterfalls because, having just had such heavy rain throughout the night, he suggested it might be worth a look.

The route was to head south through Baneres de Bigorre over the Col du Tourmalet and then to Cauterets and the Pont d’Espagne. The weather forecast was pretty dire and the darkening clouds as I prepared to set off, did not dispell any doubts in that direction.

I had obviously set up my route in the sat nav and so could concentrate on the journey; and what a journey it was. Great shafts of sunshine were breaking through the clouds and reflected off the surrounding hills and mountains ahead; it was very spectacular. The roads were, in the main, excellent and I was soon climbing upwards towards the Col du Tormalet, passing dozens of cyclists en route. About half way up, I passed through some mist and i was concerned that perhaps this would persist as I gained altitude.


I was soon greeted by clear skies and I entered the resort town of la Mongie; it was dreadful in all respects with gaudy colours, brash signs and tourist shops everywhere; yuk! At the top of the Col (2115m), the views were spectacular and I took the photo below.

I descended the Col but was ever conscious of the cattle and sheep that use the road also; leaving behind choice samples seemingly purposely on the (hairpin) bends themselves. Caution and safely had to come first. But that was fine as this wasn’t a race and I gently made my way down to continue the route through beautiful gorges on my way to Cauterets.

I did see a few waterfalls and very mice they were too but, as I approached the panoramic viewing area of Pont d’Espagne, the mist was again evident so I decided to turn around and head back towards Lourdes. I was in two minds whether or not to visit the famous Grotto or the other pilgrimage sites. I parked up opposite the local market and had lunch in a local bistro; all for under €10 and very tasty and, upon remounting the GT, decided that I would head north east and explore some of the other roads in the area.

As for the weather, it remained dry the whole time so that was a blessing. I returned to Phil and Bellinda’s place at around 3:45pm having down 142 miles; just as the previous day coincidentally.

The meal in the evening had eight us us around the table thoroughly enjoying the delicious food and each swapping tales of the day’s exploits. Tomorrow could be interesting; a potentially longer ride that takes us into Spain, crossing over to another valley (road) to the east and then back up into France again.

Our enthusiasm for this ride will depend greatly upon the weather forecast....

No comments: