Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 2011 - Spain and France - Day 2 : The local Cols (passes) (142 miles)

Six motorcycles left at just after 9:30am, having breakfasted well! The initial route alarmed those of us not on GS1200s (or equivalent) as it was narrow; damp and generous smatterings of mud! This route took us into Orignac and Sieutat and from there we joined a D road where Ed’s son (on a Triumph Tiger 995i) and I zipped off and enjoyed the road at a slightly brisker pace.

What became apparent though; was that the GT is happiest on fast flowing N and D roads but cannot match the pace of the “adventure bikes” which can be flicked from left to right with great ease. That’s not to say that the GT embarrassed itself; far from it; but the effort required from me was clearly much greater than those on the GSs!

We had a number of stops; the stops being significantly longer that the actual riding. I guess it depends upon what people want. There were two couples on GS 1200s which were clearly “friends of old” and they stopped to take photos and generally chat at many (many) opportunities. So I guess, if I could replan yesterday’s route, it would have had more riding and hence fewer stops with more “GT” favorable roads - but now I am being “picky”.

The weather forecast was dreadful but it remained clear skies and (frankly) too hot - 26-29C. We had a brief shower of rain in the late afternoon, but it soon cleared up.

The GT behaved herself beautifully and, at the petrol pumps, surprised the GS riders when I recorded almost 50 mpg which has higher than them :-)

I cannot close today without a mention of the meal and hospitality back at Phil and Bellinda’s place in Vielle-Adour. After a shower I came downstairs and helped myself to cold bears from the fridge. Then at about 7pm nibble are served and more beer, wine etc. Then at 8pm a 4 course meal was served; really delicious; certainly a “Bib Gourmand”. By 9pm the thunder and lightening were going strong with lightning illuminating the skies. Very spectacular.
I retired to bed at 10:20 leaving the others to continue chatting, eating cheese and drinking wine. All in all, a great day.

No comments: