Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 9 : Saturday 17/7 - Reims to Blighty

I enjoyed my short stay at the Cheval Rouge; the food was good and the breakfast was half decent too. I slept like a log but was till up early as I was keen to get on the road.

I pulled away shortly after 8am and took the D roads to Reims, then Laon. Probably almost as fast as the autoroute as the roads were
clear and, save for some absurd gravelling on a 2km stretch, the pace was as you'd expect for the Gran Turismo :-) !

Outside Laon, I stopped at a supermarket to buy a few things, re-fuelled, and we were
on our way. I re-set the sat nav to get me to Calais via the fastest possible route. The in-line four was ready to respond.

The autoroute had little traffic and I settled into a quick cruise (around 95 mph). I noted that, whereas previously, the GT had done a respectable 53 mpg; when ridden at these speeds, she dips below 40 mpg. Most likely the pricipal culprit is my large Calsi screen.

I arrived at the Calais Eurotunnel at 11:40 and, despite my reservation being for tomorrow at 18:20, the system obligingly searched and re-allocated me to the first available train.

Was home around lunch time. Great trip and many thanks to Dave without whom this trip would not have come about.

Now, what shall we plan next?

No comments: